Clay model from EarthBound.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Assist Trophy)
|Relatives||Dr. Andonuts (father)|
|Occupation||Student at Snow Wood Boarding House|
|Non-PSI ability||Repairing items|
Using special machinery
Jeff (Japanese: ジェフ Jeff), full name presumably being Jeff Andonuts is a boy from the town of Winters, and is one of the main playable characters in EarthBound. Although he does not have the ability to use PSI like his fellow teammates, he is very intelligent. He uses his knowledge to repair broken items, and use them in combat. His father is Dr. Andonuts, well-known for being a brilliant scientist. Jeff also has the ability to spy on enemies.
- 1 Appearence
- 2 In EarthBound
- 3 Detailed information
- 4 In the Super Smash Bros. series
- 5 Age differences
- 6 Game appearances
- 7 Default names
- 8 Names in other languages
- 9 References
Jeff has blonde hair with freckles on his face. He wears a green coat and pants, with a black bowtie on his white shirt. He also wears white rectangular glasses and brown shoes.
His design is comparable to Lloyd from EarthBound Beginnings, as they have a very similar design, though Lloyd instead has gray hair and wears a red t-shirt with black shorts, and his glasses are more circular. Interestingly, early concept artwork of Jeff shows him wearing a red t-shirt with brown shorts, and wearing round glasses, making him look more closely to Lloyd.
|Spoiler warning: this article or section may contain major plot or ending details! Proceed with caution.|
Jeff has lived at the Snow Wood Boarding House ever since he was an infant. He is close friends with Maxwell and Tony, who also live there. One night, he recieved a telepathic message from Paula, telling him that he is the only one who can save them. Tony momentarily comes with him around the boarding house to help him break out, and Maxwell supplies him with the bad key machine. After jumping over the boarding house's gate, Jeff picks up the Bubble Monkey from the local drugstore, and begins to head south. When they reach Lake Tess, they encounter Tessie, and ride on her to southern Winters. They then go through Brick Road's maze, and pass through Rainy Circle as well. While Bubble Monkey leaves Jeff for a girl monkey, Jeff finds his father's laboratory, and briefly reunites with him. He takes the Sky Runner to Threed, crashes into Ness and Paula's dungeon, and uses the bad key machine to help them break out. Jeff then accompanies them for the rest of the game.
Later, in Fourside, Jeff helps Ness in rescuing Paula from Mr. Monotoli. He also repairs the Sky Runner that crashed in Threed so they can fly to Summers, along with the yellow submarine in Dungeon Man in order to get to Deep Darkness.
At the end of the game, Jeff leaves his friends to stay with Dr. Andonuts, and also recieves a letter from Tony.
Jeff has the ability to Spy (Japanese:チェック Check) on enemies, which lists their offense and defense, along with one of their PSI weaknesses. If there would be an item dropped at the end of battle, Jeff will steal it from the enemy (if there are free inventory slots).
- The first time in the game Jeff attempts to repair an item will have a 100% chance of succeeding.
- If the previous attempt had a 100% chance of succeeding, the next attempt will have a 25% chance of succeeding.
- If Jeff succeeds in repairing an item that he had a 25% chance of succeeding on, the next fix will have a 100% chance of succeeding.
- If Jeff does not succeed in repairing an item that he had a 25% chance of succeeding on, the next fix will have a 25% chance of succeeding.
Stat growth rate
Stars represent the comparison between other characters' stat growth rate.
In the Super Smash Bros. series
Jeff appears as a trophy in Super Smash Bros. Melee, and went on to appear in Super Smash Bros. Brawl , Super Smash Bros. 4 , and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as an Assist Trophy. He will shoot bottle rockets, which will attack enemies. He appears as a Spirit in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
Super Smash Bros. Melee
- Another of Ness's close friends in EarthBound, Jeff is the only son of the famous scientist, Dr. Andonuts. Jeff is a mechanical genius, able to turn common, broken tools into complex weapons like the Hungry HP-sucker and the Slime Generator. He's a bit on the shy side but incredibly intelligent and brave in the heat of battle.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Dr. Andonuts's son, who attends a boarding school in Winters. He receives a telepathic message from Paula saying that she and Ness have been captured, and he sets out to rescue them. He's Ness's age but has the knowledge of an established scientist. He repairs broken items and makes them into other things. As his IQ increases, so does the number of things he can create.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
- One of the main party members in EarthBound, he attends Snow Wood Boarding School in Winters. Jeff takes after his inventor father, Dr. Andonuts, creating devices in his free time. One of these is the bottle rocket, which fires one large missile and four smaller ones. And sometimes one extra!
Much like Ness, Jeff originally was not intended to have an official age during development. His age is vaguely mentioned in the EarthBound Player's Guide and trophy in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, where it says he is the same age as Ness. However, due to Ness's age being inconsistant across regions (12 in Japanese guides, and 13 in the EarthBound Player's Guide), it is unclear how old he is exactly.
Names in other languages
- Starmen.Net EarthBound Walkthrough - Item Fixing Guide
- "Winter is home to the son of a famous scientist. He is the same age as Ness, so they have a lot to talk about." -EarthBound Player's Guide
Super Smash Bros. • Super Smash Bros. Melee • Super Smash Bros. Brawl • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Onett • Fourside • New Pork City • Magicant
Mr. Saturn • Franklin Badge • Ramblin' Evil Mushroom
Jeff • Starman
Trophies • Stickers • Spirits